Sooke Up the Last Few Weekends of Summer
Sooke is known as the place “where the rainforest meets the sea.” With an abundance of things to do and sights to see we have created a list of our favourite six activities.
- Fishing– The waters just off Sooke Harbour Resort & Marina and SookePoint Ocean Cottage Resort are known for being abundant with halibut, salmon, cod, and crab. Step right out of your bedroom door and into a boat, whisking you away on your next adventure. Fishing Charters make for a fun family or friends outing and are a great experience any time of year. Be sure to keep your eyes on the water, marine life watching is one of the locals’ favourite past times.
- Harbour Tours – A two-hour evening tour around Sooke Harbour… it’s a ‘watch and listen’ experience as guests will hear about the First Nations’ history, local aquaculture, the salmon story, and the historical role Sooke Basin played in the logging industry. While we can’t guarantee exactly which animals will make an appearance, expect to see birds, seals, sea lions and, occasionally, whales! Your experienced guide will bring you to all of the best spots. Bring your camera! You’ll want to snap moment after moment!
- Sooke Pothole Provincial Park– A hidden treasure tucked along the Sooke River, Sooke Pothole Provincial Park is home to a series of deep, polished rock pools and potholes that have been naturally embedded. This is a prime spot amongst locals and tourists and a go-to area for bridge-jumping, swimming, hiking, and picnicking. Instagrammable moments are everywhere!
- Zipline – Get ready to soar through the sky at up to 60 km/hr! Those endorphins will have you flying high as you soar 150 ft up in the air with Adrena LINE Zipline Adventure Tours—Vancouver Island’s only canopy zipline tour. As you soar through the eight ziplines you will learn about Sooke’s ecology and wildlife.
- Beaches – Bury your toes and catch the waves in a coastline of beaches. For an easy accessible, family- friendly spot head to Whiffen Spit located in the Juan de Fuca Basin. Or trek out to the more unknown areas and experience Botanical Beach’s shoreline trails with red, purple, and orange starfish, urchins and sea cucumbers. Explore China Beach’s waterfall and delicate vegetation, or trek through Mystic Beach’s 2-km rugged walking trail.
- Wine Tour – Stop by Tugwell Creek Honey Farm & Meadery for a bee-to-bottle guided or self-guided tour. Tugwell is serious about bees, specialty honeys, and honey wine (mead), which happens to be the world’s first fermented beverage. It’s an ancient libation and we truly think it’s one of the best beverages available on the island!
After all of your adventuring you will need a place to kick back and relax, choose from any of our spacious accommodation options at Sooke Harbour Resort & Marina and SookePoint Ocean Cottage Resort and enjoy an amazing Sooke getaway. Reserve your stay today!