Come Headbang at Bighorn Resort
It’s headbanging at its best this fall in Radium Hot Springs. No, we aren’t referring to the good ol’ ‘80s so don’t go grabbing your neon faves, acid-wash jeans, and boom box just yet. This headbanging is about Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep in full rutting action!
When the males compete for the female’s attention, it gets rowdy around here as they, literally, starting locking horns and butting heads. The phenomenon is so iconic that a festival celebrates it from Friday, November 2 to Sunday, November 4th, 2018. It’s an annual opportunity to learn about these four-footed neighbours and to participate in interactive and educational workshops.
Don’t worry if you can’t make The Headbanger Festival because the action is in full force until early December.
Headbanging and Festival Highlights:
- The festival will not only give you the opportunity to witness our horned friends go at it, but you’ll also get a chance to learn all about them from a lineup of knowledgeable presenters. You can step up your ‘snap and selfie mode’ with a smartphone photography workshop, led by Dax Justin, a Canadian explorer and professional outdoor adventure photographer.
- Murder Mystery is brewing at the Horsethief Creek Pub & Eatery, which gets transformed into The Shootout Saloon during the festival. Pick your night and get your tickets because they sell out fast!.
- Sunday morning, forest educator and children’s book author, Darcee O’Hearn, will present a workshop on Legends of the Forest and interpretive hikes.
- The rut is a bucket-list item to watch. When the rams compete for the ewes by challenging one other, they charge at more than 20 km an hour! The cracking noises are often heard up to a mile away!
- Bighorn Sheep are one of Radium’s prime attractions. Their daily presence and beauty are deeply respected by locals and visitors alike.
A family-friendly event, the Headbanger Festival will leave your children with lasting memories. Add a stop to Radium Hot Springs pool and overnight stay at Bighorn Resort where you’ll be close to all of these events. For more information, visit us at bighornmeadows.com